Friday, September 16, 2005

Vocab from unit 14

Annie’s story

Julie: Someone told me you are getting married soon, Annie.

Annie: Yes, I am, finally. I am marrying a solicitor. His name is Powell.

J: Where did you meet him?

A: Well, we used to go to school together, but we didn’t meet again until just recently.

J: I thought you were going to remain single all your life.

A: I was going to get married about ten years ago. Two brothers wanted to marry me but I couldn’t make up my mind which of them I liked more. Perhaps I should have tossed a coin!

J: So what happened?

A: Well, they quarrelled violently, and ever since they haven’t spoken to each other. They communicate by writing notes to each other. They behaved really badly towards me and I couldn’t believe how silly they were. I think they are both still behaving stupidly!

J: So how did you meet Powell?

A: He came round to see me just a few weeks ago to tell me that I had inherited some money from an old friend. Twelve thousand pounds! I couldn’t believe it! Anyway, Powell and I realised almost immediately that we get on very well. We went out together briefly and before long we were engaged.

J: And what about the brothers?

A: I don’t really care about them. Powell told me that at least they are talking to each other again. I’m just pleased that I am getting married and I can afford a nice expensive wedding. It’s all so romantic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home